Friday, July 30, 2010

The best recipe for sweet tea? Skoal.

I must admit, I do wonder why people are so willfully ignorant. What about a person makes them inhuman? What makes a freak? Sadly, most of the people I have met have a set idea in their minds of what a freak does and does not consist of. It's the human condition, I believe, and a very simple one. Human beings fear what they do not understand. Humans also destroy what they fear. So, what happens to the supposed "freaks" in this fearful society? It seems that attempts are constantly being made to destroy us. Destruction is a tricky and decieving little bugger, though. It can come in so many subtle forms: a look that is just a little too lingering, a snicker as you walk past, a spit of Skoal in a McDonald's sweet tea, even silence. Yes, silence is destruction when it comes to us "freaks" of the world. If we stay silent, we simply become another ignored part of their world. I find it immeasurably sad that I have to use the terms "us" and "them", but it's the way of society these days. "Welcome to the gun show, kids. Fall into line immediately. You are a boy (left). You are a girl (right). You, you creature, are a freak." A binary gender system is the only known and "correct" gender system these days. Well, to the ignorant little boy who works at McDonald's, I have something to tell you. I am a person. "We" are people. I sincerely hope that you can learn that someday.

2 comments:

  1. It really goes without saying (though I say it anyway) that the dude who spat skoal into your drink was the true freak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one deserves to be treated that way. Not you, not anyone.

    ReplyDelete